Springfield, IL – The Illinois Public Health Association (IPHA) invites passionate and committed advocates to apply online to join the first ever statewide Illinois HIV and Aging Policy Corps! The deadline for applications is March 25, 2022.
The mission of the Illinois HIV and Aging Policy Corps is to develop and support effective policy that addresses the healthcare, social, and emotional wellbeing needs of older adults living with HIV in Illinois. IPHA seeks a diverse and dedicated group of individuals living with HIV and allies from across Illinois for our HIV and Aging Policy Corps.
“Advocates with a passion for advancing health and social policy for individuals aging with HIV in Illinois are needed,” said Jeffery Erdman, IPHA Associate Executive Director. “The time is now to develop innovative policies that help our residents with HIV thrive physically, socially, and emotionally in their later years.”
IPHA is seeking to recruit up to 10 participants from diverse backgrounds and communities across Illinois for the Illinois HIV and Aging Policy Corps. Members will meet monthly and will be paid a quarterly stipend. Members will deepen policy advocacy expertise and networks; participate in a cohort to share challenges and successes; develop and implement an Illinois Policy Agenda on HIV and Aging; co-author reports and publications; and ultimately impact state and local policymaking.
Characteristics of successful applicants include:
- Living with HIV or an ally
- A resident of Illinois and a strong connection to one’s local community
- Member of an underrepresented group (people of color, transgender/gender non-conforming, etc.)
- Desire to develop one’s policy advocacy skills and apply them over a period of three years
- Solid speaking and writing skills
- Commitment to keeping current on HIV and aging issues, and developing policies that assist residents aging with HIV in Illinois
- Ability to attend monthly meetings and sustain a three-year commitment
The application process for the 2022 Illinois HIV and Aging Policy Corps is now open! Applications will be accepted online through March 25, 2022. Selected Policy Corps members will be notified by the end of March 2022 with membership beginning in April 2022.