Date(s) - 02/16/2018
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
DuPage County Health Department
CULTURAL COMPETENCE WITH LGBTQ+ CLIENTS Coming to DuPage County (IDPH Regions 7 & 8)
Friday, February 16, 2018 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Preferred Audience: This training is for healthcare professionals including physicians, nurses, physician assistants, pharmacists, mental health providers, substance abuse professionals, social workers, case managers, and public health professionals.
Purpose: This training is to support healthcare team members’ development of their own cultural awareness so they may increase their ability to provide culturally competent services to patients or clients with diverse sexual orientations and identities.
Program Objectives – Upon completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Define cultural terms and diversity within in LGBTQ+ communities
- Discuss culture, cultural competence, homophobia/heterosexism, and basic concepts of sexuality
- Illustrate societal perceptions about LGBTQ+ individuals and ways LGBTQ+ clients experience heterosexism in healthcare
- Develop cross-cultural communication skills to improve interactions with LGBTQ+ clients and co-workers
- Describe experiences of LGBTQ+ clients and how to be more culturally competent when providing services
- Apply best practices to improve cultural competence in your own practice/agency
- Discuss how providing culturally competent care can improve linkage and retention in care. Location: DuPage County Health DepartmentFees: • $80.00 – Standard registration fee.
• $40.00 – Subsidized fee for providers serving low-income clients at publicly-funded sites. • Waived – The registration fee is waived for staff from Part B funded agencies.
Registration closes one week prior to the program date. Confirmation of registration will be sent. If you do not receive confirmation one week prior to the program date please call 312-996-0787.
Continuing education credit provided for nurses and social workers. To receive credit participants must attend the entire activity and complete an evaluation form.
Oakton Community College/Alliance for Lifelong Learning/Continuing Education for Health Professionals is an approved
sponsor of continuing education through the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation for Registered Nurses, and Licensed Social Workers/Licensed Clinical Social Workers. Oakton Community College will provide universal continuing education credit. One universal training hour is equal to one 60 minute clock hour.
For questions, please call Brittany Barton at 312-996-0787or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.