d
c

Epidemiology

Share this: Facebooktwittergoogle_plusFacebooktwittergoogle_plus

youth status infographicIn Illinois, there were 36,064 people living with HIV at the end of 2013, with males comprising the majority. The number of people living with HIV increased by 4.8% from 2012. This increase reflects HIV+ individuals living longer lives, as well as new HIV+ diagnoses.

In 2013, the state reported 1,804 new HIV diagnoses and 860 AIDS diagnoses, of which 339 occurred after a previous diagnosis of HIV and 521 were concurrent HIV/AIDS diagnoses. Compared to a year earlier (2012), there was a 1.8% decrease in new HIV cases, a 7.5% decrease in AIDS cases, and 6.5% decrease in concurrent diagnoses.

Among Illinois men living with HIV, men who have sex with men (MSM) continued to account for the largest proportion of cases overall in 2013, with injection drug users (IDU) the next-largest category. MSM accounted for 69% of all cases among men, IDU 3%, and the combination category MSM and IDU 3%. Heterosexual relations accounted for 6% of cases among men. Nearly 20 percent of HIV cases do not identify an HIV causal risk factor such as MSM activity or injection drug use. With these cases excluded from the data, the percentages are MSM, 84%; IDU, 4%; MSM and IDU, 3%; and heterosexual, 8%. Among Illinois women in 2013, 50% of HIV exposure occurred via heterosexual relations and 8% among IDUs. With cases not identifying causal risk factors excluded, the percentages are IDU, 14%, and heterosexual, 83%.

Looking at the ages of people newly diagnosed with HIV, both young and middle-aged populations are most susceptible to HIV. From 2009-2013, Illinois males ages 13-29 accounted for more than 42% of all new HIV diagnoses among males and for about 12% of all Illinois males living with HIV; Illinois females in this age group accounted for 29% of all new diagnoses among females and about 12% of all Illinois females living with HIV. A high percentage of young people living with HIV, especially within the 13-24 age group, do not know they are infected. The 30-49 age group, however, has the highest rates of new infection among both males and females compared to other age groups, with 44% of new infections among men and 49% among women.

Among racial/ethnic groups in 2013, non-Hispanic black males represented 43% of Illinois males living with HIV; non-Hispanic black females accounted for 66% of Illinois females with HIV. Non-Hispanic blacks comprise only 15% of the Illinois population. Non-Hispanic blacks remain overrepresented among new HIV cases as well, with approximately 46% of new cases among men and 68% of new cases among women occurring within this group from 2009-2013. In 2013 among men, 33% of men living with HIV were non-Hispanic white and 18% were Hispanic; among females, 15% were white and 13% Hispanic.

HIV (non-AIDS) first became reportable in Illinois in July 1999 using a coded identifier. On January 1, 2006, Illinois changed to name-based HIV case reporting.